If you own a Wyze outdoor camera, you may have noticed that it doesn’t seem to be detecting motion as well as it used to.
There are a few reasons why this might happen, and we’ll review them in this blog post.
With a little troubleshooting, you should be able to get your camera back up and running at full capacity in no time!
Let’s get started!
How to Fix Wyze Outdoor Camera Not Detecting Motion
These are the possible solutions that you should try first.
Here are some quick fixes to help you figure out the problem with your Wyze camera motion detection.
- The motion detection feature is not enabled.
- You have set up incorrect motion configurations on your camera
- It can be due to a software glitch
- Movement can not be enough in front of the camera to trigger the motion detection feature.
- Wyze app problem
- The camera does not have person motion detection feature
- Camera sensors are not clean
- A hardware issue
Motion Detection Not Enabled
As it looks pretty straightforward, however, it is an important thing that you should notice on your Wyze camera app. Is the motion detection feature enabled for your camera?
Because it might be disabled by default or with your mistake.
You should open the Wyze connect app on your phone to check, turn it on and follow the below steps:
- Click the gear icon from the top right corner
- Then click on Event Recording
- Here you can check if the motion detection toggle is ON/ OFF
You can toggle it to ON if the motion detection is not enabled. And check the camera-detecting motions.
Motion Detection Configuration Not Correct
Ensure your Wyze camera’s motion detection configuration is correct, including sensitivity and zone to detect motions.
The motion detection zone is where your camera will monitor motions. You should ensure you have the essential and correct parts selected. You can choose the entire zone if it is necessary.
And the detection sensitivity is which movements will be used to trigger the motion detection. You can set it according to your will; however, if you have set it too high, it will be trigged with every movement.
And you will get false alarms on the lights, vibration, or environmental factors detection.
And if it is too low, the person, pet, or animal, will not be detected that are far away from it. So, you should fix it in the average range.
Follow the below steps to change the settings.
- Open the Wyze app on your phone and tap on the Gear icon from the top right.
- Tap on the Detection Settings
- And then click on Sensitivity Level
- Tap on Detection Zone
- Adjust the Detection Zone that you want
- Ensure the detection zone feature is on
Then you should check the camera to ensure the selected detection zone is working correctly.
Sometimes it can be a software glitch, and the caches cause it to stop detecting the motion detection and other features. To fix this software issue, you should check your Wyze camera is up to date.
You can install it by the below steps:
- Open the Wyze app on your phone
- Tap on the gear icon from the top right corner
- Tap on Device Information
- Then select Firmware Version
Here you can check the current software version of your Wyze cam. The app will automatically ask to install the latest update if running on the old version.
You should tap on Update Now to confirm the installation.
Not Enough Motion to Trigger
If your camera is at a place with few motions, that will be enough to trigger the motion detection alert on your camera.
So, you should test the camera by moving around in front of it. Ensure that it is working correctly; if it is not detecting motions, it can have other faults.
Update Wyze App
Wyze camera all software features are on the Wyze app. So, it is crucial to keep the Wypze app up to date. It also helps you to use the latest feature on your camera.
As the motions detection zone feature was added for the 2.9 and the above software versions, that why you should keep it up to date.
Follow the below steps to update the Wyze app:
- Open the Play Store or Apple Store according to your devices
- From the home page, tap on the above search bar and search for Wyze App
- Then open the first relevant search result leading to the store page of the Wyze app
- Here you can tap on Update to install the latest version of the software; if you cannot see anything, your app is already up to date.
Check Feature Eligibility
You should also need to know that every model has different motion detection features. They not only have new sensors, but their motion detection features also differ from the older ones.
As the latest Wyze, cam generation v3 have not motion detection free for users. You have to buy their subscriptions to use the motion detection feature.
So, most users prefer to use their older versions because they have free motion detection features. You don’t have to buy a subscription for this feature.
Motion Sensors Not Clear
If your camera is installed for the above from 7 to 8 months. Dirt and debris can be accumulated on its sensors. It might be the reason why your Wyze camera is not detecting motions.
So, you should remove dirt from the camera face and clean the sensors.
If your camera’s sensors are not clean, you can follow the below steps to clean them.
- Take a clean toothbrush and rub it gently on the camera’s face. Ensure you have removed all dirt from the camera
- You can also use a soft and clean piece of cloth.
- Use a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol to wipe all the remaining dirt
In the end, you should check for hardware issues or external damage. You should try to fix this issue. If you fail to fix this, you should consider taking it to the nearer electronic repair shop.
You should also check for its warranty; you can replace it with a new one by contacting the manufacturer.
You should also read: